Physical Rehabilitation and Fitness
Physical rehabilitation is a relatively new area of veterinary medicine. Much like humans, animals require physical rehabilitation to recover muscle strength and joint flexibility following an injury or long-term disuse.
Animal Specialty Hospital of Florida’s physical rehabilitation team designs treatment programs focusing on sports medicine, performance optimization, fitness, weight management, surgery recovery and chronic illness alleviation. It offers outpatient consultations, as well as tailored physical rehabilitation sessions to hospitalized, post-operative and incapacitated critical care patients.
Professionals within the veterinary field who perform physical rehabilitation undergo advanced training in order to achieve the formal designation of Certified Canine Rehabilitation Practitioner (CCRP). At Animal Specialty Hospital of Florida, the physical rehabilitation team is led by owner and surgeon Marc Havig, DVM, DACVS, CCRP and Adriana Sanchez, LVT, CVPP, and CCRP.
The Physical Rehabilitation and Fitness Center at ASH is fully equipped with a suite of industry-leading rehabilitation equipment and services including:
- Oasis Underwater Treadmill
- Therapeutic ultrasound
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
- Massage therapy
- Strengthening exercises
- Balance and coordination training
- Gait training
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES)
For your pet, undergoing physical rehabilitation helps:
- Reduce pain
- Promote the healing process
- Restore and maintain range of joint motion and normal movement patterns
- Build muscle mass during recovery from injury or surgery
- Allow safe and controlled activity during the recovery period
- Increase cardiovascular fitness
- Combat obesity, in association with correct diet
- Improve overall quality of life
Interested in learning more about physical rehabilitation for your four-legged best friend? Call us today to schedule a consultation; our team is eager to assist.