Our Internal Medicine service is headed by Dr. Ashley Ayoob. Dr. Ayoob is one of only a handful of veterinary specialists worldwide who holds the distinction of being double-boarded by both the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine and the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care. That means she has extensive experience in each discipline and offers a unique and insightful perspective on the diagnosis, treatment and management of her patients.
The internal medicine department at ASH focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases in the gastrointestinal, urogenital, endocrine, cardiac, respiratory, immune, and hematologic systems.
Our team takes pride in professional leadership, intensive diagnostics, cutting-edge equipment, and exceptional patient care. This involves active collaboration within the department and with other specialty services to develop a comprehensive plan for diagnosis and treatment.
Some of the internal medicine services we provide include:
- Interventional radiology (Fluoroscopy)
- Endoscopy (upper and lower)
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Endotracheal washes and bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL)
- Bone marrow aspirate and core biopsy
- Ultrasound guided aspirate and biopsy
Internal Medicine conditions include:
- Endocrine diseases – Including hyperadrenocoticism (Cushing’s Disease), hypoadrenocorticism (Addison’s Disease), diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, acromegaly, hyper and hypo-thyroidism, hyper and hypo-parathyroidism
- Disorders of the blood and coagulation system – Including anemias (decreased red blood cell count), thrombocytopenias (decreased platelet count), leukopenias (decreased white blood cell count), elevations in white blood cell count, congenital and acquired clotting disorders, bone marrow dysplasias, myeloproliferative diseases
- Disorders of the gastointestinal system – Including liver disease, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, protein losing enteropathy, gastric ulcers, food allergies
- Disorders of the urogenital tract – Including acute and chronic kidney disease, bladder infections and dysfunction, urinary tract stones, feline lower urinary tract disease, ectopic ureters, prostatic infections and enlargement, uterine infections
- Disorders of the respiratory tract – Including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, bronchitis, collapsing trachea, pneumonia, diseases of the chest wall, nasal discharge/bleeding, laryngeal paralysis, increased upper airway noises
- Infectious diseases